1. Short title, extent and commencement.- (1) This Act may be called the Children (Pledging of Labour) Act, 1933.2*[(2) It extends to the whole of India 3***.]
(3) This section and sections 2 and 3 shall come into force at once, and the remaining sections of this Act shall come into force on the first day of July, 1933.2.Definitions.
2. Definitions.- In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,–
“an agreement to pledge the labour of a child” means an agreement, written or oral, express or implied, whereby the parent or guardian of a child, in return for any payment or benefit received or to be received by him, undertakes to cause or allow the services of the child to be utilised in any employment:
Provided that an agreement made without detriment to a child, and not made in consideration of any benefit other than reasonable wages to be paid for the childs services, and terminable at not more than a weeks notice, is not an agreement within the meaning of this definition;
“child” means a person who is under the age of fifteen years; and “guardian” includes any person having legal custody of or control over a child.
1. This Act has been extended to Dadra and Nagar Haveli by Reg. 6 of
1963, s. 2 and Sch. I; Pondicherry by Reg. 7 of 1963, s. 3 and
Sch. I and Laccadive, Minicoy and Amindivi Islands by Reg. 2 of
1970, s. 2 and Sch.
2. Subs. by the A. O. 1950, for sub-section (2).
3. The words “except the State of Jammu and kashmir” omitted by Act
51 of 1970, s. 2 and Sch. (w.e.f. 1-9-1971).
86.3.Agreements contrary to the Act to be void.
3. Agreements contrary to the Act to be void.- An agreement to pledge the labour of a child shall be void.
4.Penalty for parent or guardian making agreement to pledge the labourof a child.
4. Penalty for parent or guardian making agreement to pledge the labour of a child.- Whoever, being the parent or guardian of a child, makes an agreement to pledge the labour of that child, shall be punished with fine which may extend to fifty rupees.
5.Penalty for making with a parent or guardian an agreement to pledgethe labour of a child.
5. Penalty for making with a parent or guardian an agreement to pledge the labour of a child.- Whoever makes with the parent or guardian of a child an agreement whereby such parent or guardian pledges the labour of the child shall be punished with fine which may extend to two hundred rupees.
6.Penalty for employing a child whose labour has been pledged.
6. Penalty for employing a child whose labour has been pledged.-
Whoever, knowing or having reason to believe that an agreement has been made to pledge the labour of a child, in furtherance of such agreement employs such child, or permits such child to be employed in any premises or place under his control, shall be punished with fine which may extend to two hundred rupees.
Categories: Labour Laws Act & Rules | Tags: